A Response

I typed out so long a comment to my sister Samills's post, "My Kind of Modesty", that I decided to put it into a blog. :)

*faint smile*
1 - I understand this type of view too well.
2 - ....how stereotypical of the modern Christian's viewpoint that old ways won't change the world.
3 - How in the world is the world supposed to tell that you're any different if you look, talk and act their fashion? Isn't that called...compromise? Or worse...being a chameleon Christian?

W: "So what's your name?"
MC: "Ellie."
W: "You're pretty cute. You free on Sunday?"
MC: "Na, actually I go to church. Free afterwards though."
W: "Oh right, you a Christian or something?"
MC: "Yeah."
*slight pause*
MC: "Say, you know the latest song out? I think it really hits the mark."

Umm. Okay. Before I'm judged (for being judgmental, pardon me). That might not be exactly the kind of conversation, but I'm willing to bet it's something like that.

A young Christian girl (using Carissa for a model :P) in a shop, with buttoned up loose blouse and long skirt.
Her unusual fashion causes many people look after her...guys with a vague sense of something clean having gone by, girls with an inner, unrecognised longing for the difference. A jealousy, almost.
A helping hand as she goes out of her way to pick up something a careless shopper knocked over. The friendly smile lifts the tired shop assistant's spirit.
As she goes out, a man gets up to hold the door for her.

Okay, I'm not saying that the modern Christian isn't friendly, sweet, polite and helpful. Just, as Samii pointed out so helpfully in her post, clothes do matter. And clothes do make a point about what you are. If you dress like a whore, expect to be treated like one by the wider public. If you dress like a lady (yes, I'm using the old-fashioned word), then expect to be ignored by the wider public obviously, and respected by them, albeit unwillingly, in private.

4 - Samills...you never found me boring. >.<

Hmm.
Oh, and.
Lying to myself about why I wear something? No. I'm being perfectly honest, and it is NOT easy to choose to wear a high, loose blouse and a long loose skirt when I know I've got a nice figure and it would be flattering to my vanity to wear something that shows it in every extreme.
If you'll excuse me, it takes far more guts and courage to make the difficult stand than to hide in the crowd.
So what if there's a stereotype? Maybe we can be the ones to break it. Certainly we won't be breaking it by joining the crowd!
And maybe it's better to look like it - AND act it.

AND. It IS possible to dress modestly and with style. *points at Mom and self* (Although we aren't ALWAYS on the better end of the extreme scale. :P ) :)

And isn't it judgmental to judge old-fashioned Christianity with a stereotype of all of us being boring? :P

Anyways...I think that's all I can think of for now. And this will probably spark a fiery enough debate. I just hope debate is all.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, you do realize that 90% of that post was because I get grief for my style of dress? Yeah, I was mad :P I know, SAMII MAD?! WHAT THE HECK? It does happen though XD

    And stereotypes are GOOD. I've come to realize they, although confining, are a good thing. Shocking, I know. One of my weird beliefs. Another is that I think culture is much smarter than anyone gives it credit.

    In all my experiences I've never found an atheist (I'm not saying ALL unbelievers, atheists only here) are offended at a moralizing Christian. They draw back and throw up all their defenses and very, very, VERY few Christians can battle that (ANOTHER thing which annoys me to NO end, stop being prudes and find out what is in this world - listen to the music, read the book, watch the movies, LEARN).

    *shrug* I'm just sick of people telling me that I'm an evil sinner for wearing a V-neck or dying my hair. Its getting old. REALLY quick.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Ayanna Priscilla

Best Time of My Life ~ Now

My Battle with Modesty