God at Work

Literally. These two quote are from yesterday. (Began 22-10-11 or 10-22-11)

I put my little orange Testament from Texas on my desk yesterday and walked away to get some water. Ryan, my coworker, said as I went by: "Is that a Bible on your desk?" Me: "Yes, it's a Testament. Are you a Christian?" *hopefully* Ryan: "No, I like to call myself an atheist. But it's good to see some people have faith."

--

I went to the water fountain and stepped aside to let coworker Becca go first. She responded by wriggling with helpless frustration and said, "Ohhhhh! I really don't like you!" Another coworker waiting laughed and said, "Well that's nice first thing in the morning!" Becca answered, "It's because she's so NICE! Always opening doors for people, etc." I walked away and grinned. Maybe, maybe, MAYBE, God is shining through!! :D

--

Kushan is a Hindu. He worked next to me for a day or so. I was having a good day on the surveys, and he asked if it was a Bible I had on my desk. (My little orange testament.) On my completing another survey, he reached over and took it off my desk and put it on his own, saying that I'd had enough luck, and now it was his turn! I was killing myself laughing.
We - as usual - ended up discussing our religions (or my faith and his religion), and he asked me about the Lord's supper. "I thought it was nice that Jesus gave food and wine to His disciples." I tried to explain, and then he asked about whether it was really bread and wine or flesh and blood. So I explained that it was symbolism, and that it was the difference between us and the Roman Catholics, that they believe in transubstantiation and we don't. (No, I didn't use that word. :P). He asked where it was in the Bible, and I marked it up in my little orange Testament.

He still hadn't read it by the end of the day, so I offered him to take it home. He refused, as he hadn't got anything to keep it dry (it was raining). He said to leave the paper where it was and he'd take it home the next day. "As we're Hindus, we worship many gods, so I'll put it on the shelf next to my god, and worship both together, so I'll be worshipping Jesus at the same time."
I did attempt to explain that it didn't work that way, but it didn't come out too good.

Anyway, he took it with him the next day. I haven't seen it since, and I don't know if he's read it or not. I'd like prayer for that, please...that he reads it and doesn't worship it or just worship it...but that God would open his eyes and plant hunger in his soul.

For two reasons, I'm going to buy him a Bible pretty soon. I'll try and write a note of explanation at the same time. See how that goes. Please pray!

--

Of course, Inti and I still have the occasional debate over Christianity vs. Islam. He's not biting as much as at first though. Please continue to pray for him. :)

--

Jack Davies, my colleague, and I end up sitting next to each other a lot. Jack's a good friend, quite posh and highly amusing as well as highly intelligent. Recently, we were discussing my decision to give up the RAF (for now) and it lead onto the woman's role in life. We ended up talking about the "women being subservient to men" idea, as opposed to the Biblical standard of women submitting, not being subservient. He gave me permission to raise a discussion on Facebook between him, me and Jay Lauser, so that should be interesting! I think he'll respond. :)

--

Today was preeeetty interesting. I walked downstairs at the 15:30 to 15:40 break, to find a discussion on religion going on between a bunch of new recruits. A couple of whom I'm already friendly with...
It was between a Muslim, another Christian (YAY! PRAISE THE LORD!) and...a white witch. Whoa, this could be really interesting! I didn't quite chime in as I had to go back upstairs, but I did go over and introduce myself to the older Christian lady. Praise the Lord!!

--

So, there we have it! One small, two-storeys-up room, hot and frigid by turns, stuffy, packed with atheists, Muslims, Catholics, Hindus, a white witch and two Christians.

I hate this job. I seriously loathe it. The stress and pressure is really high, and my body isn't taking the toll of that too well.
But I can't help believing, each time something else like this crops up, that God has me there for more than just teaching me to be content in a bad situation and to serve Him cheerfully and patiently there. I don't think I'll stop hating it, and I don't think I'm going to hesitate to jump out when He opens the door, but until He provides the way, I'll try and stay.

Please pray for my new little missionfield. :)


God bless!

~Jane
(Completed 16-11-11)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ayanna Priscilla

My Battle with Modesty

Best Time of My Life ~ Now