My Purity Ring




I wear a purity ring.

Wow. Big shock.

Actually, to my circle, yes it is. They view it as an American crazy idea I've acquired, and view even more disapprovingly the finger I wear it on - my wedding finger, saying that I should never wear a ring on that finger until I'm married

Due to the problems I've had in the past from/with lads, it was part security for me, part protection from myself. For whatever else I have been, I don't believe a woman with a ring on her finger should be interacting in any way that could be considered inappropriate with a guy. (Not that a woman without one should be, either, but for me, it's more influential this way).

I wear it on my wedding ring finger after hearing a horror story from one of my gentleman friends, who I questioned on seeing his purity ring being worn on his left hand.
He was driving around with a pastor just before a revival meeting, and the pastor stopped to invite a couple of girls on the pavement/sidewalk to the revival, adding, almost as though an incentive (joking), that my friend was single. He changed the ring right there in the car.
For me, it signifies that I am already taken, and that I belong to God. Apart from men who have no respect for marriage or "another guy's girl", my ring on that finger persuades guys that I'm already taken; and indeed, I am.

Far from the harlot I've been, God has changed me into His own daughter. An ink writing I did on my skin today reads, "Not Whore ~ God's Adored". I belong to God and no man has the right to ask me to be anything to him without my Maker's and Husband's approval.

I admit, at times it's been a battle. When a guy walked up alongside me on a cadet event, I hid my hand for a few minutes until I realised in sudden disgust, what am I doing? Denying the very thing that gives me any value?

My ring is a pretty one. It took a while to choose, but this was the only ring that fit on my rather slim finger.
It has a ruby centrepiece, with four tiny diamonds surrounding it, two each side, and two rubies on each side of that.
As time wore on with me wearing it, those jewels came to mean something to me, and I'd like to share that meaning with you.

The ruby colour is the blood of Christ, Who died to make me His own.
The trinity of them stand for Love, Hope and Faith.
"If I love God and you, I will hope in God and keep faith with Him and with you." (@Guy-if-there-is).
The clearness of those diamonds stand for purity.
The four diamonds stand for physical purity, mental purity, emotional purity and spiritual purity.

Physical - Saving myself for one man, or for God alone.

Mental - Battling any thoughts which compromise keeping myself for one man, or for God alone.

Philippians 4:8 - "Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things."

Emotional - I'm still sorting that one out.

Spiritual - Doing any of the former will compromise my spiritual purity and my relationship with God. Therefore, I need to fight for all for together.


I'm drawing my own lines again, and guys, I'm asking you to help me and respect this. Much as I want and need support at times, I don't want you to be giving it me in any form of holding me or anything apart from a brief hug, virtual or reality, a promise of prayer and words of encouragement.
If you see me crying on the floor, pray for me.

I think that's all I have to say for now, so I'll wind up.

I'm not proposing all of us go and get rings. Sometimes one gets used to them and forgets the purpose anyway.
When one prays to a graven image, a portrait or a cross, the reason behind that image is lost.
When one relies on a purity ring to keep oneself pure, the purpose behind that ring is lost.

Spiritual purity will enable them all. Keep yourself pure with God, and test everything against His Word.


God bless,
Janie

Comments

  1. That's a lovely ring, Jane. My parents got me a ring when I was 12...not exactly a "purity ring" per se, but more like a promise that they love me and God loves me before (if) a man loves me. It has a ruby and diamonds too. :)

    Praying for you, girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Jane-girl. I have a ruby/diamond ring too :) My parents gave it to me on my 13th birthday. Like Nai, it's not exactly a "purity ring per se", but kind of a reminder.
    Love you, dear <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just purchased a purity ring at the age of almost 24 - yes, later in life than most but a reminder of the continued pledge to remain pure and abide in the word of God.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Ayanna Priscilla

My Battle with Modesty

Best Time of My Life ~ Now