Job + Cadets + Busyness!

Sooooo. I'm not online very much any more, and I'm encouraging people to email me or even - yes, I'm opening the doorway! - WRITE to me - rather than chat me, so I can clear my emails, tweets and Facebook notifications, work on the S4C website and blog in the relatively short time I have online now, apart from weekends.

Of course, if you need to chat me, I'm around mostly on Saturdays and Sundays.


I now have a 9-4:45 job on Mondays - Fridays as a market research telephone interviewer. You know, those horribly annoying people that ring your phone and ask you to spend some time on an interview. I always turned them down, politely and pityingly. After all, I could imagine how hard it was for them.

Now, I KNOW how hard it is for them. Their job - my job - hangs on getting those surveys. So remember that, next time you turn them down. :P
I should be getting 6-9 surveys a day, depending on the quota set, and at the minute, I'm roughly getting 3-4. If you don't make those, you have to get a minimum of 35-40 calls an hour, and if you don't work to the target, you're fired. At the moment, I'm getting something like 70 calls in 3 hours. They're just starting to really sift out those that they'll keep from those that they'll fire, so I really need prayer to try and get my call rates up. People have been fired already. I'm not slacking, but I'm not dialling as quickly as I need to be, obviously.

It's not a very interesting job. Sitting at a desk all day with just over an hour's break, picking up a phone, waiting for a response, mostly meeting with a refusal, putting the phone down with your ear ringing, noting the objection/refusal or booking an appointment and moving straight on to the next one. And I always hated offices.

But you know something? God provided a job in answer to so many people praying for me to get one as soon as I got home. It's £6.50 an hour. It passes time fairly quickly. It's honest work. And with so many people struggling to get into the workforce, I'm very grateful to have a job. I can support my family to a degree with the money I'll be earning. It enables me to spend time with my sister.

There's even things to laugh at. Like the amusing lines the other day. In the comment box, you're supposed to put date, time, and contact name. This info I received for one of my calls simply read, "Mr. Dixon is the man." XD! And then another one was an automated machine voice saying, "This number knows you are waiting." Um...numbers have minds? Then beautiful names. Like this following - "Tofuzzel Miah" and "Pixy Greathead". How stunningly awesome is that! :D

I'm starting to click with the guys I came in with, and a few others who know my sister and therefore are kind to me. Mikel, Jack, Priya, Ripa, Ffiona, Gemma, Mohammed, James are all part of the group I was recruited with. Most of them are agency - signed on and required to actively find a job. A few of us are independent, though, like me. I got along well with all of them. Charlene was also one of us, but she was fired. Now, there's only Mikel, Jack, Priya and me left from the original group. Another Charlene and Simon, and later Luke and Mosheid, were later added to our group.

My boss's name is Intikhab, and he is a solid Muslim. When he and my sister used to work together, he always used to be asking her questions - like, really good questions you have to search back on. Now he's transferred that to me. :D He's a really nice guy though, and a good boss. His pointed questions are very interesting, because he won't just ask to see what I'll believe, but he'll double back on me to see if I really believe what I'm saying. There's been a lot of religion talk amongst my Muslim colleagues at work recently, particularly as there's been a book going around called "The Glorious Qu'ran". I'm keeping my mouth closed, though it's hard, because God opens the opportunities, not me. And He is.

Not only there, but the fact I am a Christian is slowly starting to circulate. Pamela and I walked to the bus stop a few weeks ago, and I told her a small section of my background history. She appears to have a "belief" in God, although she very much doesn't appear born again. Kassim and Inti both were discussing some points about Islam and Christianity the other day. Their main point seems to be our common links; our only difference is the Divinity of Jesus - that Jesus is the Son of God, and the truth of His death on the cross. My goal is to show the fundamental difference - that the Lord's divinity and His death make ALL the difference in the world - enough for an eternity between Heaven and hell. Pray for God to use me. I can't do it.

On a lighter note, here is my desk at work! :D



Normally on here will be a glass of water, a bottle of Coke (yes, Andrew, COKE), a stack of papers, my Bible, three stones from Jay and my little orange Testament that goes everywhere with me, from Texas.


Now, for cadets.

Monday and Wednesday nights I attend my new Squadron. Things are...very interesting there. I've had some good discussions with the cadets, one started by my purity/promise ring, of all things! Daniel B is probably the person I get along with there.

Being an ex-corporal hasn't helped things a lot. Half of the cadets still think of me as a corporal still, but in-waiting, and the other think I'm an upstart little nobody from another Squadron who isn't and shouldn't be an NCO.
There's a chance I may get my rank slides back soon, but it will cause some problems if I do. Oh well, I've been pushed before and this time I know what's coming.

I'd really like some prayer for the swearing and stuff going on on the Squadron. It's really getting to me.
The Squadron padre is a good man, and a real Christian. There's a friend of the Boss's whose name is Chris Bates; he's the padre at one of the highest Squadrons in the Wing, and he's also a real Christian.
I met a girl cadet through my little sister Shannon, and when she added me on Facebook, I found out that she was a Christian too! :) Sometimes it's good to know I'm not alone.

This Squadron is more active in a way than 196 ever was - although 196 is home as it can never be. But it's good there. Really good.
Trying to balance it in with work is a bit tricky, so I'd appreciate your prayers there. :D

Just to cover myself, the next two months are going to be packed full of cadet stuff. At the end of October/beginning of November, we'll be doing bag-packs for the Poppy Appeal, parades, maybe even a concert where the Sqn band will be playing and I will be singing! I'm really hoping that works out. :D


Most of all, please pray for God to work through me so as to witness for His Name in both and all places.
And please pray for next year, as I'm not only attempting to come over to OYAN again, but also to bring my family over for a visit. Not sure if that will work out, but with God, all things are possible!

In Christ,
Jane

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ayanna Priscilla

Best Time of My Life ~ Now

My Battle with Modesty